Saturday, July 9, 2011

The life cycle of cotton

When we moved to St. Petersburg, Ken promptly planted some cotton seeds he had obtained. Being from New York and then South Florida, I had never had an opportunity to see cotton grow. The life cycle of the plant is incredible and beautiful.

It dawned on me one day that if I had never seen a cotton plant, surely none of my friends and plenty of city dwellers had never seen it either.

With that in mind, I bring you cotton.....

This is what I will call the cotton pod. It's the first thing to appear.


Then, you get this beautiful flower.


Which eventually turns this wonderful pink color.


From that, the first signs of cotton emerge.


The cotton seeds sit at the base of and among the cotton.

2 comments:

  1. I have grown cotton...it is really interesting to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you do anything with the cotton? (And no, I'm not asking if you made a pair of shorts!)

    ReplyDelete